Golf Season Wrap-Up

Sophie Pressler, Reporter

Vibrant green hills surround the players as the crowd is hushed. With the utmost concentration, the golfer lines up the shot and strikes the ball, watching as it flies across the course.

The girls and boys golf teams have been able to pull off a respectable season, even though they don’t match up in numbers to other popular school sports. Not only this, but the team has become closer because of the time they spend together as well as their experiences this year.

“At the beginning of the season I was really hoping that we would able to become closer as a team,” sophomore Avery Bryant said. “It was difficult at first because none of us really knew each other, but now both the boys and girls are really close.”

Coming together as a team was crucial to golf’s success throughout the season. They were able to learn from each other and conduct more efficient practices. For those on the team, golf is way more than just a pastime.

“I love that golf is truly unique,” sophomore Amelia Mckee said. “It has taught me a lot of patience and respect this season. I really enjoy playing the sport.”

Team members have also been able to learn a lot of life skills such as perseverance from their coach and their tournaments. In addition, they were able to succeed in the sport itself.

“Both the boys and girls teams have performed extremely admirably throughout the season,” coach Doug Smith said. “It’s been a wonderful experience watching them improve.”

By the end of the season, the girls team won third place at their district tournament and Amelia Mckee qualified for the regional tournament as an individual. The boys team won the Raven Nest Invitational with Justin Skorheim as a first place medalist. Despite their success, there is always room for improvement.

“We had high hopes of advancing to state this year, but we fell short at districts,” junior Thomas Smith said. “However, I think with more practice we will have the potential to advance next year.”

The golf coach and the team have high expectations for next year’s season. They hope that with more practice and since they now work together better as a team they will be able to win even more competitions. Regardless, this season was a learning experience and a fun time for the whole team.

“I really enjoyed teaching players to live in the moment by concentrating on one shot at a time,” Coach Smith said. “I know next year we will be able to play up to our full potential.”