2016 Baseball Season Preview

Lindsey Call, Reporter

With the new baseball season beginning, the rosters and schedules are finally up. Tryouts were Friday, January 29 with over 60 kids aiming to be on the sophomore, junior varsity or varsity team.

“We just had tryouts last weekend. We had about an average number of kids trying out but it’s always tough not taking two-thirds of them that try out. The Klein Oak program is a good program and it’s tough to make the team,” Coach Jay Darneal said.

Baseball may just be officially starting but they’ve been playing year-round on select teams, summer leagues and in the actual baseball class. Starting off the season with four or five scrimmages, the tournament season will officially commence on February 25 and finish with the playoffs.

“Nothing is impossible, so all teams have a chance to make it into the playoffs. We are one big family and I can’t wait to see what we can do,” Adam Houck, middle infielder, said.

With a field just recently redone, the possibilities of major victories are on the horizon. Not everything is so new though, with returning star players like Ryan Kasper, Mitchell Howell, Andrew Morgan, and more. The team and coaches hope to return to the playoffs again this year, and make it past the first round that last year’s lineup couldn’t get past.

“I believe we could have a solid team this season on all levels,” Benjamin Content, right-handed pitcher, outfield and middle infielder, said. “I’m especially excited to see if varsity can make another playoff run this year. I think our whole district has potential to be tough and provide good competition and it’s going to be a challenge but nothing that Klein Oak baseball can’t handle.”